May 11, 2009

Alembic: The San Francisco Bourbon Bar


I vacationed last week in San Francisco with my wife. I had done a little research into there being any great San Francisco bourbon bars. Alembic was a suggestion. I checked out the website. The bourbon menu speaks for itself. And, the more daring of you should also peruse the food menu (the boar jerky is awesome).

Alembic is unassuming and unpretentious. It's on the gritty/artsy/eccentric/ecletic/freakish Haight Street and draws a diverse clientele. The bourbon and American whiskey selection is outrageous:


I started with a Blantons, then moved on to Four Roses Small Batch, Four Rose Single, Van Winkle 20 year, and then tried a Bernheim seeing as it's so hard to find. As you can see, I took advantage of getting to buy a glass from the pretty expensive bottles out there.

I was served by Janiece, who was knowledable, friendly, and a bourbon enthusiast. It was a truly memorable experience, and the bar was a testament that bourbon is still very much appreicated by the American, or at least San Franciscan, drinking community. You'd be doing yourself a big favor by stopping by next time you're in northern California.

2 comments:

  1. How about some tasting notes on these marvelous Bourbon exemplars?! Please.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I plan to review those bourbons in later posts. Stay tuned.

    ReplyDelete